William Morris Museum, Hammersmith
The William Morris Museum in Hammersmith is open 2.00 – 5.00pm on Thursdays and Saturdays. Other times by appointment.
The William Morris Society, Kelmscott House, 26 Upper Mall, Hammersmith W6 9TA. Kelmscott House is privately owned and not open to the public. The Society and small museum are based in the Coach House and the basement of the property.
William Morris (24 March 1834 – 3 October 1896) was a revolutionary force in Victorian Britain whose work dramatically changed the fashions and ideologies of the era. As a craftsman, designer, poet, printer, socialist, novelist, and environmentalist, Morris was not only influential in his own time, but his legacy remains alive and important today. The William Morris Society was founded in 1955 to make his life, work and ideas better known. The Society puts on events: talks, exhibitions and activities for children, especially in school holidays, and publishes material relating to William Morris. School groups and private tours are welcomed. Kelmscott House is the house where he lived from 1878 until his death in 1896. The museum collection contains a number of Kelmscott Press titles as well as his printing press. Dating from c.1835 it is fully operational and used on a regular basis by the Society’s artist in residence. The Society has a comprehensive collection of Morris and Company wallpapers and watercolour designs, and a selection of textiles, ranging from a Hammersmith rug and woven hangings to printed cottons, silks and embroideries. The nearby home of William Morris’s great friend Emery Walker at 7 Hammersmith Terrace also has lots of examples of William Morris’s work.