About Rachel Busch
As a resident of Chiswick for eight years, Rachel has been inspired to interpret the beautiful buildings, stations and scenes that surround her. ‘Some of these buildings are so well known and used, yet very often overlooked. I wanted to stop, appreciate them properly, get to know every curve, brick, nook and cranny and interpret their beauty onto paper.’
Each project starts by visiting, sketching and photographing a chosen building at different times of the day and night. Developing this back in the studio, Rachel works out what she wants to ‘say’ about the building. A sketch becomes a detailed drawing which is then transferred onto lino or cardboard, then the lengthy process of cutting, inking, wiping, scratching and masking the ‘block’ starts. Finally the creation of an edition, at the moment without a press, by hand burnishing each print with a wooden spoon or a Japanese barren, one unique print at a time – made with lots of care, dedication and patience.
Rachel works from her home studio, where visitors are always welcome by appointment.
Recent & current exhibitions:-
- Royal Academy 250th Summer Exhibition 2018 – Rachel’s ‘Dark in the Park’ print of Chiswick Park tube station was selected for the Exhibition, selling out and resulting in various commissions.
- ‘Chiswick in Pictures’ Exhibition by Chiswick Calendar – 10th September -27th October 2018
- Sprout Arts Gallery ‘New Faces’ Exhibition – 30th October – 10th November 2018
- Stamford Brook Christmas Open Studio 2018 – Saturday 24th – Sunday 25th November (see below)
- The Hogarth Club – Group AAH Exhibition – 28th November 2018 – 4th January 2019
- Gallery 286 London – Christmas Exhibition 2018 (dates TBC)
If you would like to buy any of Rachel’s work, please contact her direct
Viewing by appointment.
Contact Rachel at:
To see other work by professional artists who live in the Chiswick area please go to The Chiswick Calendar’s directory of local artists.